10 Reasons to Make Memorizing Scripture a Priority
10 Reasons to Make Memorizing Scripture a PriorityThe Bible is filled with reasons (and promises) for spending time in study and meditation over scripture.
In case you need a gentle reminder, here are 10 Verses About the Importance and Benefits of Hiding God’s Word in Your Heart
- Knowing God's expectations for us is a safeguard against sin. "I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you." (Psalm 119:11)
- God has promised blessings for those who focus on and live by his words "The Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to what is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success." (Joshua 1:8)
- Knowledge and practice of the scriptures sets us up for clean living. "How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word"(Psalm 119:9)
- It’s GOD’S WORD and was given to us as a powerful tool to help us accomplish his will. “All scripture is God-breathed and useful in teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work” (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
- Scripture is timeless and ever-relevant, providing us with wisdom and discernment. “The word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing the division of soul and spirit, of joints and marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12)
- It is as valuable and nourishing to us as literal food. “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God. “(Matthew 4:4)
- Biblical knowledge helps keep us grounded. “The law of his God is in his heart; his steps do not slip.” (Psalm 37:31
- The Scriptures provide insight, context, and can help us determine which steps to take in life. “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” (Psalm 119:105)
- When God commands us to do something, we best pay attention! “Be attentive to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. Let them not escape from your sight; keep them within your heart.” (Proverbs 4:20-21)
We can’t be reminded of what we don’t know.
Jesus promised the Holy Spirit would bring His words back to our mind…but in order to do that, we should familiarize ourselves with them.
“But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.” (John 14: 26)
Do you have other verses that inspire you to memorize scripture? We would love to know, so please leave us a comment and tell us your verse! :)
I found Psalm 32: 8 in my devotion yesterday, and I plan to commit it to memory..It really meant so much to me. thanks so much,,,,,clem
Leave a comment